Oven Baked Cabbage Rolls
If you've never been a big fan of cabbage, this recipe might just change your life.
3 cups cooked rice
2 heads of cabbage
2 pounds ground beef (uncooked)
2 Tbsp minced garlic
1/4 cup tomato sauce
1/8 cup seasoned salt or other seasoning mix
1 cup tomato sauce, divided
1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cook 3 cups of rice according to the package directions.
3. Boil a very large pot of water. Put one head of cabbage in until leaves begin to loosen. Remove the greenest of the leaves. Repeat with the second head. You'll need about 24 leaves for the wrappers and a few extra.
4. Prepare two 13x9-inch baking dishes by spreading a few of the whiter cabbage leaves on the bottom and pouring 3/4 cup of tomato sauce over them, divided between the two dishes. This will keep the rolls from sticking to the pan.
5. Combine rice, ground beef, egg, garlic, 1/4 cup tomato sauce and seasoning mix in a large bowl.
6. Shape a small ball of the meat mixture into a log and place in the middle of a cabbage leaf. Wrap it by folding in the sides of the leaf and rolling it from top to bottom. Arrange in a single layer until both pans are full.
7. Pour crushed tomatoes over the top of both baking dishes.
8. Cover the pans with foil. Bake at 375 degrees for about 75 minutes. Reduce temperature to 325 degrees and bake an additional 75 minutes. Baste occasionally with tomato sauce.