Forget The Relish - Put Your Pickle Inside The Burger!
I couldn’t resist trying out this recipe I found in a cookbook from the 1960s. The idea of wrapping ground beef around a dill pickle spear made me smile and then wonder how that could even work. So I pulled out a baking sheet and gave it a try. Really, that’s all you need! Not even a skillet is required.
The final report: it’s fun. Plain and simple. And it’s surprisingly flavorful. I tweaked a few ingredients and measurements, making it a great Saturday lunch treat.
1 lb ground beef
1 egg, beaten
1 Tbsp onion powder
2 tsp horseradish
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
5 dill pickle spears
5 hot dog buns
1. Move your oven’s rack to the second rung from the top. Turn on oven broiler and let it heat up while you prepare the meat.
2. In a large bowl, combine ground beef, egg, onion powder, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
3. Divide meat into five pieces. Gently wrap the meat around the pickle spears, covering as much of the pickle as possible. Arrange on a baking sheet covered with foil.
4. Place baking sheet under the broiler for 5-6 minutes. Flip them over and broil an additional 4-5 minutes, watching the meat carefully. It will burn very easily after the flip.
5. Remove from oven when the ground beef is cooked all the way through. Serve on hot dog buns.