5 Ways To Destress Fast
We all know that if you let stress build up, awful things happen. And they're usually directed at innocent bystanders who made the mistake of stepping into your path.
But we can combat that internal volcano with just a handful of stress-defeating ideas.
1. Unlike our grumpy hummingbird (I call Him Brutus), being outdoors for a few minutes can drastically change your outlook on the world. It won't change the circumstances inside the house, but soaking up the sun, listening to the birds and enjoying the breeze can make a huge difference in your attitude.
2. Check your breathing. Chances are you're taking a bunch of quick, shallow breaths because you're all stressed out. Slow down by counting: inhale for 4 seconds, exhale for 6 seconds and then repeat as necessary.
3. Write down 10 things you're thankful for. It doesn't have to be about the people or circumstances that stressed you out to begin with, but do it if that's helpful. Focusing on the good instead of the bad gives your mind and soul a quick reboot.
4. Stretch or do a little yoga. This isn't exercise - it's just warming up your muscles a little and getting your blood flowing. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say most of us tense up when we're stressed, so now we're going to be tight and in pain in addition to being stressed. Work it out and get back in there!
5. Dive into Scripture. Read your favorite passages. Read through the Psalms. Memorize a verse. Do a word search and find what Jesus said about stress. God's word is living and perfect, and the timeless help and comfort there can change the hardest of hearts and the most stressed of women.