Stuffed Spinach Pizza
This is an amazing dish and is as delicious as it looks! There is a lot of “wow” factor and yet very simple to make. No stranger to the kitchen, I came up with the idea because I love pizza but wanted something more than just crust and toppings. I suppose you could say it is inspired by Chicago-style pizza pies. Sorry New York fans, hahaha! So, lets get started, shall we?
2 canned pizza crusts
1-2 lbs italian sausage ( I prefer hot, but you can use whatever flavor you like)
1 jar pizza sauce
shredded mozzarella cheese
shredded parmesan cheese
coarse black pepper to taste
pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large skillet (I prefer cast iron) brown the Italian sausage and set aside.
- Place one of the pizza crusts in a 10” deep dish pan and spread on some pizza sauce. I use just enough to cover the crust.
- In a large bowl, mix the spinach, mozzarella cheese, minced garlic, black pepper and salt and set aside.
- Fill the first crust with the Italian sausage then put the spinach/cheese mixture on top of the sausage.
- Place the second crust on top of the dish, pinching the edges to create a seal.
- Cook in 400 degree oven until crust is done, about 15-20 minutes, depending on your oven.
- Remove from oven and spread the top with more pizza sauce and grated parmesan cheese and cook for an additional 10 minutes or so.
- Once crust is cooked, remove from oven and let stand for a few minutes. Then slice and serve.
As you can see, I don’t really use measurements. It’s mostly personal preference as to how much of each ingredient you want. That’s the fun of cooking, experimentation with a little trial and error! I hope you enjoy this wonderful dish and wow your family and friends with your tasty culinary adventures! G’day and God bless!~Danny