The Perfect Autumn Spice Cake Donuts
At the beginning of September each year, I start sorting through my fall decorations, craft supplies and baking goodies to get ready for the change of season. Fall baking is probably my favorite part, especially when I can whip out a good spice cake.
But what if you could turn a spice cake mix into delicious donuts? Yes, it's true and it's possible! Instead of following the directions on the box, use the ingredients and measurements below to turn the thicker batter into yummy breakfast treats.
Ingredients: 1 box of spice cake mix
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water
1 can salted caramel frosting
2 Butterfinger candy bars
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray four donut pans with nonstick spray.
2. In a stand mixer on low, mix the cake mix, oil, water and eggs until combined. Increase to medium speed for two minutes and batter is smooth and thick.
3. Pour batter into donut pans, filling halfway.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 14-16 minutes. Remove from oven, allow to cool 3-4 minutes and remove from pan to a cooling rack.
5. When the donuts are completely cooled, open can of frosting and remove the foil lining. Microwave at 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until the frosting is smooth and shiny.
6. While the frosting melts, crush the candy bars in a plastic bag to use as topping.
6. Pour frosting into a bowl. Dip the top of each donut in the melted frosting and immediately sprinkle with crushed candy bars. When the frosting cools, it will hold the topping in place and create a lovely, sweet glaze on the donuts.