Thursday, October 13, 2016
Just a note: while the flavor of this meatloaf gets better with each serving of leftovers, the cheese topping gets a little dry. If you can finish it within a meal or two, it will be at its best and freshest.
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb ground Italian style pork
1 small onion, diced
1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
1 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried parsley
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup Italian style bread crumbs
2 slices of bread, cut into tiny cubes
1 Tbsp milk
1 bag shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 cup marinara or pizza sauce
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
2. Heat the oil in a skillet, then add the onion and pepper. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, until slightly browned and soft.
3. Set aside 3/4 cup of the mozzarella cheese and all of the marinara sauce.
4. Combine everything else in a large bowl and mix. Your hands will work best to combine everything until smooth.
5. Press mixture into the baking dish. Pour about half of the sauce onto the top.
6. Bake at 400 degrees for 50 minutes.
7. After 50 minutes, pour the remaining sauce and cheese over the top.
8. Bake for an additional 10 minutes.