Thursday, February 9, 2017
Cinnamon Spice Cake Balls
That's how these spiced cake balls came to be. I made spice cake (one of my favorites) several weeks ago and tucked it away in the freezer. Then when I needed something fun, I thawed the cake and made these super-easy cake balls.
1 spice cake made with package directions
1 can vanilla frosting
4 bricks of chocolate almond bark
1. Make or thaw the cake. Leave until it is at room temperature, then crumble as small as possible into a large bowl.
2. Add half the can of frosting and stir just until sticky. Add more as necessary depending on how much of the frosting your cake sponges up.
3. Roll into small cake balls and place on a parchment paper-covered baking sheet. Once it's full, put it in the freezer for 30-60 minutes, long enough to cool them down but not refreeze them.
4. When you're ready, put the bricks of almond bark in a microwave-safe bowl for 30-second intervals. Stir until smooth.
5. Use a fork to dip the cake balls in the chocolate and return them to the covered baking sheet. They will warm up with the hot chocolate, so move quickly and get them into the fridge as soon as you can or they will lose their shape and begin to fall apart.
6. Once they're cool again, store in the refrigerator in an air-tight container. If you haven't already eaten them all, which is a definite possibility.