New Takes On Strawberry Shortcake
And we eat strawberry shortcake. By the truckload.
But who wants to eat strawberry shortcake the same way every time? We only have a few precious months to savor it, so let's put a new spin on an old favorite.
* Instead of the typical white cake, split a glazed donut in half for your top and bottom.
* Add your favorite ice cream as another layer of flavor.
* Layer it up in a glass jar or a miniature version.
* Thread pieces of cake and strawberries on a skewer and drizzle on vanilla icing.
* Use fluffy biscuits instead of cake.
* Turn the cake into cupcakes, with a strawberry in the middle and whipped cream instead of frosting.
* Instead of individual portions, make a multi-layer cake with strawberries and whipped cream between each layer.
* Bake the cake as a sheet cake, topping with vanilla frosting and piles of strawberries. Then just cut it in bars.
* Crumble the cake after it's cooled and make strawberry cake pops, adding finely diced strawberries to the cake crumbles and coating each ball in white chocolate.
* Layer cake, strawberries and whipped cream in a large trifle bowl and let everyone fend for themselves.